1. No, I never made a class read Other Cities (though I have read selections from it to my girlfriend). If I were to have them read it, I suppose Maxis.
would be most appropriate, but honestly that is the one story in the collection that I don’t enjoy (having actually worked at Maxis). My favorite is the one about the city of censors.
2. Scariest thing I ever done… that’s interesting, because it isn’t the same as my scariest moment (i.e., I interpret intentionality on my part being required). What jumps to mind was telling a certain person, many years ago, that I had a crush on her. I was completely terrified.
3. Boy, I don’t think I particularly qualified to talk about high school cliques… the students at the college I teach tend to skew older than typical college students (24, perhaps, being the average). I can spot the differences between the fashion design students and game art & programming students, but beyond that…
4. I also seem to be the only higher-level mammal without a cel phone. If this is a panopticon and I’m the only one without a blog, I suppose I must be the guard. In that light, I must re-evaluate my current project (which crawls across flickr using facial recognition algorithms for my own nefarious, artistic purposes). It’s true, though, even my dad blogs. I think the main issues against blogging is a) I don’t think many people would be interested in reading it, b) I doubt I would be good at keeping it up-to-date, and c) most of the interesting things in my life I don’t want to share with the world.
5. I would love to write good fiction… especially if it were effortless. :) I used to think I could write pretty well, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I can write reasonably coherently and cleanly, but I am not (and won’t ever be) an inspired writer. Actually, reading your brilliant stories helped put things into perspective (yeah, I’m ok at writing, but I’m no “Ben”). Luckily, my writing talent seems perfectly suited for writing grant and commission proposals as well as artist statements that are light on the bullshit.